Tuesday, September 9, 2014

200+ DVD Craigslist Haul


Selling media is a great way to quickly raise your positive feedback count and reduce your defect rate. I paid $100 for this lot of a little over 200 DVDs, half of what the Craigslist ad was asking. 50 cents a piece is about the maximum you want to pay when buying large lots like this. Listing at $4.50 a piece minimum for the more common titles will net about a buck each after shipping and fees, so selling these at a yard sale or flea market for $2 each might be the way to go, but if that's not an option then it only costs 5 cents each month to keep a DVD listed. There were a few seasons and sealed titles in this lot which tend to bring a few bucks per sale. Cyberscape in the bottom right stack is probably the least common DVD of the entire lot, but there also don't seem to be a lot of buyers. Maybe I'll be able to get 10 bucks for it, even if I have to sit on it for a while.

So far, I've made 31 sales off of this lot, for a net total of $64.98, so I'm fast approaching the break-even mark with plenty of DVDs left to sell. I might be able to triple my money if they all sell. This isn't fast money, and more reselling than flipping, but it helps to have a bread and butter source of consistent sales, and these are easily shipped with DVD-sized poly bags which are dirt cheap.

UPDATE: I made my $100 back plus an additional $85 from ebay DVD sales but things were slowing down. With over 100 still listed, I was eating more than $5/mo in renewal fees, and at roughly $1 profit each I wasn't even breaking even. After digging through and picking about a dozen to keep for myself, I threw the remaining 109 up on craigslist and priced to sell at $75 for the lot. Couldn't have been more than a week before I had a buyer, putting my total profit from this lot at $160. 

No comments:

Post a Comment